How To Organize Your Life To Make Time For Your Passions (video)
The number one question I get is how do make time for all of the things you love, so I decided to do a Facebook live to share some of the methods and tools that have helped me over the years.
Currently I juggle multiples hats. I have a full time job, I run nachesnow.com and the Studio 78 podcast, I make laser cut home decor at CreativeRoute.com and I share a business with my bestie Astral Riles over at StartAFashionTruck.com which also has a podcast. So I am involved in a ton of activities week after week. I have to organize my time so I don’t go crazy, I don’t miss anything, and to make sure I’m able to do all the things.
After checking out the video let me know if you have any questions. I’ve also included my notes below.
STEP 1 Why do you want to get organized?
Is it to make room for a hobby, passion, or business? Or do you already have a ton a things you’re jubbling and you want to take control of your life?
Determining this will help you plan out your time better.
As you switch interest you’ll need to continuously make adjustments.
STEP 2 How are you currently spending your time?
- Write it out. You can use a sheet of paper or write it on to a big calendar. Be specific, but not down to the minute. Make sure to do track everyday of the week. Example:
- Breakfast 6:00-6:30 AM
- Commute 6:30-7:00 AM (I also make calls during this time)
- Work 7:00AM – 3:00PM
- Commute 3:00-3:30 PM (I also listen to podcast during this time)
- TV or Grocery store 3:30 -5:30
- Dinner 6:00-7:30 PM (this includes cooking and sitting down with the fam)
- Working on business or taking online classes 7:30- 9:00PM
- Sleep 9:30PM-5:30AM
- You can also track time with an app like Ding
STEP 3 Reorganize your time.
Take a calendar and write out how you want to spend your time. For example, if you want to take a class plan out what your future schedule will look like.
Start implementing the adjustments and stick to it. After a week see what adjustments need to be made.
TIPS | The Small Things Matter
You also have to get control of the little things.
- Get your mail every day. Determine if you’re going to open it every day or once a week.
- Get your email under control. Find a system that works for you. Check out my free Inbox Zero Course.
- Get control over social media. Determine when you’re going to go on and interact and post. Don’t become a slave to your phone.
- Determine your sleep schedule. I use the Fitbit to help me stay on track.
- Have a system for capturing your task and ideas.
- When you get up on the weekend immediate start doing something productive.
TOOLS | Use Tools That Work for You
- Calendar 5
- Apple notes app (I use this to capture ideas while I’m out and about. When I get home I usually transfer the idea to the appropriate place: journal, Google doc/sheets, or my task list in Calendar 5)
- Any.do app (I use this to keep track of groceries and other things I need to buy)
- Ding (use for very detailed tracking)
- Calendar (i.e. Google)
- Google Docs
- Google Sheets
- CoSchedule / Meet Edgar (manage social media for business)
- Mailchimp / Convertkit (manage email list)
Decide on a method that works best for your style. Something sustainable. Forgive yourself if you get off track.
Free Organization Sheets
It's time to make space for the things you love! These free sheets will help you determine how you're currently spending your time and help you plan your time in the future.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.