106. The Importance of Creating Diverse and Inclusive Business Graphics
Jessica Bellamy is an award-winning international speaker, workshop facilitator, motion infographic designer, and research analyst. She has presented and given workshops on information design and data equity in the United States and in other countries. She presents at conferences as well as at universities such as Carnegie Mellon, UCLA, Vermont College of Fine Arts, ArtCenter, and Yale.
Jessica is an alumnus of the Adobe Creative Residency program. She is also a Design Justice advocate. She started her design career working with nonprofits and community groups to create compelling explainers that break down complex service and policy information.
In this episode, Jessica discusses big data and how it’s being used in society, how to work with nonprofits, tips for creating visuals, and the benefits of creating workshops. She also discusses the Adobe Creative Residence and how that experience impacted her career.
- Jessica discusses what it means to be an information designer that is grounded in conscious and responsible principles of design
- She does workshops on infographic composition and what data equity is and how it can play out in whatever work a customer is doing
- She considers herself a visual storyteller that breaks down information into visuals to help people better understand the content
- We discuss how to start working with nonprofits
- Jessica was invited to apply to Adobe Creative Residence and decided to focus on motion infographics and workshops
- Creating visuals
- Learn basic composition and design principals
- Work on communication strategy (target audience, call to action, and what the media vehicle is and why)
- Ask yourself if the data should be asset facing or deficit facing, more objective vs more on advocacy, are the images creating implicit bias, how do you build work in the macro context versus just focusing on the end-user to continue to fight against stigmas
- She discusses the psychology of images
- Jessica believes workshops allow you to build yourself as a thought leader
Studio 78 Podcast: Listen + Subscribe
Support The Podcast
- SKILLSHARE COURSE: How to Organize Your Life To Make Time For Your Passion(s)
- FREE TEMPLATE: Notion for Entrepreneurs, How I Organize My Life and Business
- THE WORKBOOK: It’s time to take care of you. Get The Life Cleanse Journal to reevaluate what’s important to you.
- DIGITAL NOTEBOOKS: I heart Goodnotes. I’ve created some notebooks and planners for you to try out.
- NEWSLETTER: I send my newsletter out using FloDesk because of their easy to use automations.
|Say thanks with a cup of joe!|
Click here to buy me a cup of coffee!!
Thanks in advance!
Studio 78 Podcast
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.