120. Doing What You Love While Also Giving Back to the Community
While balancing a full-time job as a lawyer, Heidi Nielson runs two part-time businesses on nights and weekends. The first is Desert 2 District, where she creates desert-inspired illustrations and celebrates lawyers of color. The second is her mixed media art business. She is creating a body of work that is a meditation on the things we carry from generation to generation, reflecting and celebrating her fourth-generation Japanese American heritage. Using found and discarded materials, she promotes healing, repair, and sustainability through her art while also keeping it real with whimsy and weirdness.
In this episode, Heidi discusses why she chose to be a lawyer by day and an artist during her “off” hours. We discuss how the 100 Day Project gave her momentum, the importance of being intentional with your business, and why setting clear goals are important. We also chat about how she’s been able to use her art to celebrate and support lawyers of color, to include partnering with others to support funds for future attorneys. Additionally, we discuss the impact of COVID on her business and how this mental health advocate took the time to slow down.
Studio 78 Podcast: Listen + Subscribe
Support The Podcast
- SKILLSHARE COURSE: How to Organize Your Life To Make Time For Your Passion(s)
- THE WORKBOOK: It’s time to take care of you. Get The Life Cleanse Journal to reevaluate what’s important to you.
- DIGITAL NOTEBOOKS: I heart Goodnotes. I’ve created some notebooks and planners for you to try out.
- NEWSLETTER: I send my newsletter out using FloDesk because of their easy to use automations.
- Americorps [nonprofit]
- Bright Young Things [blog]
- Torpedo Factory
- Latela Curatorial [business course]
- Etsy [e-commerce platform]
- Society6 [e-commerce platform]
- Shop Made in DC
- Hermanas in the Law [IG account she mentioned]
- National Latino Law Student Association
- Procreate [iPad app for artists]
- Later [IG marketing platform]
- GoodNotes [notebook mentioned]
Studio 78 Podcast
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.