124. Rediscover Your Passion, Build an Art Business, and Maintain a 9 to 5
Justine Swindell is a DC native multidisciplinary artist fusing retro vibes with visual storytelling. She collaborates with businesses, publications, and everyday people to create vibrant branding designs, murals, and illustrations. Through pop-ups, art shows, and workshops, she sells and teaches art and showcases how one can use art to inspire and impact a community.
In this episode, we learn how Justine’s journey helped define the artist she is today. She chats about the importance of diversifying income and deciding what types of work to take on. We also discuss why she has chosen to work full-time while running an art business and the importance of not putting pressure on your passion.
4:28 Justine Swindell’s background
17:31 Turning art into a business
25:01 Diversifying your income
37:40 Types of work Justine takes on
Studio 78 Podcast: Listen + Subscribe
Support The Podcast
- SKILLSHARE COURSE: How to Organize Your Life To Make Time For Your Passion(s)
- THE WORKBOOK: It’s time to take care of you. Get The Life Cleanse Journal to reevaluate what’s important to you.
- DIGITAL NOTEBOOKS: I heart Goodnotes. I’ve created some notebooks and planners for you to try out.
- NEWSLETTER: I send my newsletter out using FloDesk because of their easy to use automations.
- Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Parsons School of Design
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert [book]
- Ronald Jackson [the artist that waited until the right time to quit his 9 to 5]
- Microsoft Excel
- Google Tasks app [Apple] [Google]
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
- Notion Tutorial Video
Studio 78 Podcast
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.