125. How a Cancer Diagnosis Led to the Creation of an Ethical-Eco Production Company
Remember Elise Smith from episode 38? She is the owner of Winnie’s Bakery, a food writer, recipe developer, and set stylist. With over ten years of working in the food industry—she has had the pleasure of working with major commercial brands. Her work has been featured in numerous Baltimore/DC local and national publications. She now has a new endeavor under her belt, owner of a production company, oECo Studios! This innovative ethical-eco production company creates engaging food and product videos by practicing conscious, intentional, and low/zero-waste production.
In this episode, Elise discusses what has happened in life since being on the podcast almost four years ago. Including her journey of being diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome, a form of cancer. This life-changing diagnosis inspired her to think about how she wanted to continue having an impact, leading her to create oECo Studios. We chat about her marketing plan, managing projects, and all the things that come with starting up a new business. She also provides us with some fantastic eco-friendly companies.
05:58 What Elise has been up to since episode 38
09:07 Discusses being diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome (a form of leukemia)
13:58 BeTheMatch and the importance of getting more black donors
20:03 How oECo Studio started
26:41 Marketing plan when she started
34:50 Making it all work, managing projects
49:13 Team makeup and process
Studio 78 Podcast: Listen + Subscribe
Support The Podcast
- SKILLSHARE COURSE: How to Organize Your Life To Make Time For Your Passion(s)
- FREE TEMPLATE: Notion for Entrepreneurs, How I Organize My Life and Business
- THE WORKBOOK: It’s time to take care of you. Get The Life Cleanse Journal to reevaluate what’s important to you.
- DIGITAL NOTEBOOKS: I heart Goodnotes. I’ve created some notebooks and planners for you to try out.
- NEWSLETTER: I send my newsletter out using FloDesk because of their easy to use automations.
- No Kid Hungry [Elise is a Chef Ambassador for MD]
- Edible DC
- Julia Turshen [Chef]
- More info on myelodysplastic syndrome with AML variant
- BetheMatch.org [STEM cell registry]
- Sandrine Niyongere, MD [oncologist mentioned]
- Bee’s Wrap [food wrap]
- Pangaia [clothing company]
- Zip Top [containers]
- Butter and Lye [soap]
- Erin and Avery Studio Co. [candles]
- Eco Pea [bamboo diapers]
- Smithey [cast iron pan]
- Chippin [dog food and treats]
- Gather at the Table by Betty Vandy [book]
- Google Calendar, Google Meet
- Monday [workflow app]
- Calendar 5 [calendar app]
Studio 78 Podcast
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.