128. Biochemist to Sustainable Skincare Entrepreneur
After leaving a ten-year post working in cancer immunotherapy as a biochemist, Monique Kofsky decided to combine her knowledge of chemical reactions in the human body with the importance of using great ingredients. She entered the fascinating world of soap making and spent the next year developing a gentle formulation made with high quality, fragrance, and harsh chemical-free ingredients that would promote healthy and balanced skin.
In this episode, Monique discusses why sustainability is important to her and how she thoughtfully incorporated it into her ingredients, packaging, and shipping. We also chat about her R&D process, the impact of the pandemic and the social justice movement, and tips for pricing and wholesale. Monique clearly lays out how to strategically start a business from conceptualization to execution.
13:27 Process of figuring out how to make all aspects of a business is sustainable
19:18 Making Soap – The R&D Process
22:14 Coming up with an inclusive price point
27:37 The impact of the BLM
32:26 Starting during the pandemic
44:24 Tips for wholesale
Studio 78 Podcast: Listen + Subscribe
Support The Podcast
- COURSES: Check out my new Skillshare course on Milanote!
- FREE TEMPLATE: Notion for Entrepreneurs, How I Organize My Life and Business
- THE WORKBOOK: It’s time to take care of you. Get The Life Cleanse Journal to reevaluate what’s important to you.
- DIGITAL NOTEBOOKS: I heart Goodnotes. I’ve created some notebooks and planners for you to try out.
- NEWSLETTER: I send my newsletter out using FloDesk because of their easy-to-use automations.
|Remember to subscribe to my YouTube channel!|
- Ecoeclose [shipping labels]
- Sendle [carbon neutral shipping]
- Fiverr [find designers]
- Upwork [find designers]
- The Lean Startup by Eric Reis[book]
- Faire [wholesale]
- Abound [wholesale]
- Xero [accounting]
- Magic the Gathering [game]
Studio 78 Podcast
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.