138. Starting a Stained Glass Business + The Importance of Mental Health
Kelsie McNair is a stained glass designer, photographer, content creator living in Bronx, NY. She started playing with stained glass in 2016 after a six-month residency at the Chrysler Glass Studio in Norfolk, Virginia. Immediately fascinated by the sculptural elements of this art form and the weird, wonderful weight of glass in her hands, she picked up the process right away. Consistently inspired by light, texture, and movement, processes old and unfamiliar, Kelsie hopes to keep pushing herself towards new and fresh glass objects to bring joy not only to herself but to anyone passing through, looking for something special to add to their collection.
In this episode, Kelsie chats with us about challenges she had to deal with during 2020 and early 2021 and why it is important to take care of your mental health. She walks us through how she turned her stained glass hobby into a business where she operates as a stained glass designer and educator. We further discuss figuring out your creative language, developing a marketing strategy that makes sense for you, pricing stained glass, and her studio set-up and processes for being as safe as possible.
18:09 We talk about copper foil vs lead came
22:45 Discussion on determining your visual language
26:43 Developing marketing strategy that works for you
33:18 Stained glass process
36:28 Determining pricing
44:02 Home glass studio set-up
Stained Glass Pieces by Soft Shapes
Studio 78 Podcast: Listen + Subscribe
Support The Podcast
- COURSES: Check out my new Skillshare course on Milanote!
- FREE TEMPLATE: Notion for Entrepreneurs, How I Organize My Life and Business
- THE WORKBOOK: It’s time to take care of you. Get The Life Cleanse Journal to reevaluate what’s important to you.
- DIGITAL NOTEBOOKS: I heart Goodnotes. I’ve created some notebooks and planners for you to try out.
- NEWSLETTER: I send my newsletter out using FloDesk because of their easy-to-use automations.
|Remember to subscribe to my YouTube channel!|
- The Cruel Reality of Long Covid-19 by The Daily
- Wella Bandaids
- Rubber Finger Protectors
- Nitrile Gloves
- UrbanGlass – NY [where Kelsie teaches classes)
- Craftsman Ave – NY [where Kelsie teaches classes)
- Adobe Illustrator
- Pizza Donkey – Pricing Survey Results + Pricing for the Glass Community cont.
- Respirator for Fumes and Particles
Studio 78 Podcast
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.