140. Hobby to Side Hustle: Macrame Artist by Night, Educator by Day
Lena Njoku is a macrame fiber artist and owner of Mimi N. Macrame (Mimi is her childhood nickname). Lena started it as a hobby in June 2020 amid the pandemic, after her sister received a macrame piece as a gift. Since then, she has turned it into a part-time business and her husband—architect and woodworker—creates the dowels for her (it’s a family affair). Lena is also a university educator, wife, and mother of two.
In this episode, Lena and I discuss our thoughts on getting a degree and the possible gains. She shares how she focused on her mental health right before the pandemic and how that helped her get in the right mindset for giving herself space to start a hobby. Lastly, she dropped some insight into handling commissions, charging what you’re worth, and shipping tips.
5:17 Benefits of a degree
16:27 Focusing mental health
24:00 Handling commissions
31:52 Charging what you’re worth
Studio 78 Podcast: Listen + Subscribe
Support The Podcast
- SKILLSHARE COURSE: How to Organize Your Life To Make Time For Your Passion(s)
- FREE TEMPLATE: Notion for Entrepreneurs, How I Organize My Life and Business
- THE WORKBOOK: It’s time to take care of you. Get The Life Cleanse Journal to reevaluate what’s important to you.
- DIGITAL NOTEBOOKS: I heart Goodnotes. I’ve created some notebooks and planners for you to try out.
- NEWSLETTER: I send my newsletter out using FloDesk because of their easy to use automations.
|Say thanks with a cup of joe!|
Click here to buy me a cup of coffee!!
Thanks in advance!
- Lena’s Husbands IG: ike_n_builds
- Google Voice
- Whitney Elliott Double Rainbow Designs
- collaboration video of black girl macrame artise
- Pirate Ships
- ROLLO Label Printer
Studio 78 Podcast
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.