147. Starting, Pivoting, and Lessons Learned from a Natural Dye Textile Artist
Amy Hindman, the owner of Saint Virginia, is a natural dye textile artist and a designer of fashion and home goods. After a decade of wanderlust, she returned to Virginia, met her husband, and had a baby. Her dreams were put on hold after being diagnosed with cancer, but a few years later, she went to the Penland School of Craft outside of Asheville, where she learned how to dye and sew silk scarves. Amy pored over natural dye books once back home, bought a new sewing machine, and Saint Virginia was born. Amy started making scarves that she wished she had when going through cancer treatment.
In this episode, Amy provides several lessons learned throughout her journey. She chats with us about how she quit her corporate career a year before the pandemic but had to do a slight pivot after the pandemic put a strain on her business. She also gives us a quick lesson on eco-friendly material and how she sources it. Amy shares how to acquire customers without living on social media, what to consider before quitting your job, and how she sets her business goals.
Studio 78 Podcast: Listen + Subscribe
03:57 How the pandemic impacted her business and why she decided to go back to corporate
16:30 What to consider before quitting your 9 to 5
21:17 Eco-friendly materials explained
22:56 How her battle with cancer inspired her to start her business
26:23 Sourcing within the US and beyond
35:21 Finding your target customer
44:52 How to acquire customers and get sales without living on social media
50:24 Setting quarterly goals
Support The Podcast
- SKILLSHARE COURSE: How to Organize Your Life To Make Time For Your Passion(s)
- FREE TEMPLATE: Notion for Entrepreneurs, How I Organize My Life and Business
- THE WORKBOOK: It’s time to take care of you. Get The Life Cleanse Journal to reevaluate what’s important to you.
- DIGITAL NOTEBOOKS: I heart Goodnotes. I’ve created some notebooks and planners for you to try out.
- NEWSLETTER: I send my newsletter out using FloDesk because of their easy to use automations.
|Say thanks with a cup of joe!|
Click here to buy me a cup of coffee!!
Thanks in advance!
- Natural Dye Resources on Saint Virgina
- Get Rich, Lucky Bitch!: Release Your Money Blocks and Live a First-Class Life by Denise Duffield-Thomas
- You Are a Badass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth by Jen Sincero
- Overcoming Underearning: A Five-Step Plan to a Richer Life by Barbara Stanny
- We Should All Be Millionaires: A Woman’s Guide to Earning More, Building Wealth, and Gaining Economic Power by Rachel Rodgers
- The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself by Michael A. Singer, Peter Berkrot, et al.
Saint Virgina – Amy Hindman
Studio 78 Podcast
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.