154. Branding, Marketing, and Funding a Black Business Directory
Leah Freeman-Haskin is the founder of BLK Oceans, a beautifully curated website showcasing Black founders and their brands. Through engaging editorial content and a Black-owned business directory, BLK Oceans promises to showcase the best in Black-owned businesses, so you can discover and support your new favorite brand. Leah is a writer and marketing strategist. Since beginning her career, she has worked with innovative media and technology brands, including E! News, Blavity, Shazam, YPO, and RYOT/Verizon Media.
In this episode, she talks about the origin story of BLK Oceans and how she got funding for something that started off as a passion project. She also discussed the importance of branding, doing all the legal paperwork, and marketing. We also dive into why at one point, she sold all her things and packed up to move to Costa Rica, and she provides inspirational words for mompreneurs.
Studio 78 Podcast: Listen + Subscribe
4:49 Selling everything and moving to Costa Rica
8:54 BLK Oceans Origin Story
14:15 The importance of branding when trying to get discovered
18:08 Getting funding for a passion project
21:31 LLC and trademark, why it was important
23:03 How marketing played a part
28:01 Benefits of being on the Black Ocean directory
33:12 Inspiration words for mompreneurs
Support The Podcast
- COURSES: Check out my new Skillshare course on Milanote!
- FREE TEMPLATE: Notion for Entrepreneurs, How I Organize My Life and Business
- THE WORKBOOK: It’s time to take care of you. Get The Life Cleanse Journal to reevaluate what’s important to you.
- DIGITAL NOTEBOOKS: I heart Goodnotes. I’ve created some notebooks and planners for you to try out.
- NEWSLETTER: I send my newsletter out using FloDesk because of their easy-to-use automations.
|Remember to subscribe to my YouTube channel!|
- The Last Two Crayons Hardcover by Leah Freeman-Haskin
- Visible Hands – Visionaries Accelerator
Studio 78 Podcast
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.