169. Building a Community for Black Women: The Birth of Ìpàdé
In this episode, we chat with Elizabeth Gay, the founder of Ìpàdé, an event and meeting space designed specifically for Black women and femmes of color. Elizabeth shares the meaning behind the name Ìpàdé and its various services, including venue rentals, photography, celebrations, work retreats, and podcast and photography studios.
Early in her career, she took the initiative to establish a leadership development network, organizing events and programming that brought women together for workshops and mentoring dinners. This experience fueled her desire to create spaces where women could connect, learn from one another, and grow professionally.
Elizabeth discusses how Ìpàdé came to be, from the initial idea to securing a physical location. She emphasizes the importance of flexibility and the willingness to adapt the vision for Ìpàdé based on the evolving needs of the business and the space. Opening the first space in 2022 allowed her to realize the growing demand for a larger event space as people began coming together more frequently. This realization prompted her to make the necessary changes and adjustments to the original vision of Ìpàdé.
Tune in to learn more about Elizabeth’s inspiring entrepreneurial journey and the importance of creating inclusive spaces for marginalized communities.
Studio 78 Podcast: Listen + Subscribe
05:46 What does Ìpàdé mean
06:38 Why Elizabeth started a co-working and incubator space
11:31 Importance of testing a business idea
12:58 Tips for charging the right price
15:58 The importance of a business plan
18:02 Crowdfunding on iFund Women
23:35 Accessibility and location choices
27:16 Designing a coworking space
33:55 What to look for in a realtor
37:20 Numbers as critical business data
40:25 Expanding programming and events at the new location
42:03 Hiring help for your business
44:56 Types of events at Ìpàdé
Support The Podcast
- COURSES: Check out my new Skillshare course on Milanote!
- FREE TEMPLATE: Notion for Entrepreneurs, How I Organize My Life and Business
- THE WORKBOOK: It’s time to take care of you. Get The Life Cleanse Journal to reevaluate what’s important to you.
- DIGITAL NOTEBOOKS: I heart Goodnotes. I’ve created some notebooks and planners for you to try out.
- NEWSLETTER: I send my newsletter out using FloDesk because of their easy-to-use automations.
|Remember to subscribe to my YouTube channel!
- Black Mama’s Matter Alliance
- Sisu Consulting
- IFundWomen (crowdfunding)
- Amber J. Philips (designed Ìpàdé space)
- Goldman Sachs, 1 million Black Women Black in Business program
- The Bird and the Sword by Amy Harmon (book)
- Well-Read Black Girl
Ìpàdé (Elizabeth Gay)
Studio 78 Podcast
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.