17. DIY PR Strategy Tips and How To Create a Membership Site
In this episode, Lorraine Sanders discusses public relations (PR) strategy tips for small business and why she created her new PR membership site, Press Dope. Lorraine is the host of the Spirit of 608 podcast that’s all about fashion, entrepreneurship, sustainability and tech. She affectionately calls it F.E.S.T!
After being a journalist for a decade, she now helps socially responsible fashion brands get the media exposure they deserve. Additionally, her podcast allows others, who want to make smart choices around the way they buy, discover brands that are impacting the environment in a positive way.
- Lorraine, a former journalist, is the host and producer of the Spirit of 608 podcast
- She recently launched a new business, Press Dope, created to help socially responsible fashion brands with PR
- Sustainable means, at it’s most basic level, is that you’re producing a product or fashion line that is not contributing to pollution, waste, or harming parts of our environment that are typically harmed through production processes – Lorraine
- She spent 15 year in San Francisco, but now resides back in her home state of Virginia in the city of Charlottesville
- The minimum amount businesses spend for a decent PR person is about 3k a month
- Press Done is a DIY solution for people who don’t have the budget for a big PR firm or that aren’t yet ready to go that route
- TIP: Having a PR strategy is necessary to get your business out there
- You also need to be a voice in a conversation that’s bigger than you – Lorraine
- The beta test of a Press Dope course made her realize how important connection is which is why she started a community
- She used WordPress tools to create her website and found someone on UpWork to help her with some of the functionality
- PR Strategy Tip:
- Start early
- Develop a daily habit around your PR goals
- Find out who is writing in your space (Tip: set up Google Alerts)
- Start building a relation with journalist, bloggers, influencers and podcasters
- Pick 10 media outlets/ journalist to connect with by following them on social media and emailing them
- Participating in events and establish relationships by introducing yourself
- Produce original content that shows you are an expert; be a thought leader in your space
- REMEMBER: Have a relationships with journalist already in place; you should have some preexisting connection; start laying the ground work as soon as possible
- Lorraine on the Can I Park Here? Podcast
- The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson (Book)
- The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy (Book)
- UpWork – find freelancers
- Woocommerce WordPress plugin – for ecommerce
- Kanban WordPress plugin – task board
- CM Curated List Manager WordPress plugin
- CM OnBoarding WordPress plugin – welcome tour of your site
- BuddyPress WordPress plugin – forums and community aspect of the website
- Spirit of 608 podcast episode that takes about video
- BizChix.com – Natalie Eckdahl has a mastermind and FB group
- Zoom.us – used for video conferencing
Stop Dreaming, Start Doing!
Subscribe to get inspired!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.