182. From Artisan to Wholesale Maven: The Handmade Journey
In this episode, we sit down with Marlo Miyashiro, a multi-talented artist and entrepreneur with a diverse skill set, including jewelry crafting, teaching, and consulting emerging artists. As the co-owner and managing director of The Handmade Showroom and Bezel & Kiln, two establishments in a downtown Seattle mall, Marlo brings a wealth of experience.
Learn from Marlo the significance of self-education in entrepreneurship and gain insights into successfully navigating the intricate landscape of wholesale. Discover how she weathered the pandemic storm and continued to grow her business. We also dive into pricing strategies, invaluable tradeshow tips, and effective inventory management techniques. Whether you’re a fellow artist looking to elevate your craft or an aspiring business owner seeking inspiration, Marlo’s wisdom and expertise offer invaluable guidance.
Take advantage of Marlo’s valuable marketing insights and her perspective on the power of accepting help in your journey to success. This episode is a treasure trove of creativity, entrepreneurship, and empowerment—a must-listen for anyone looking to make their mark in art and business.
Studio 78 Podcast: Listen + Subscribe
7:06: Childhood Dream Realized: The Origin Story of Owning a Store
10:17: Marlo’s Journey: From Theater Company to Marlowe M Jewelry Design
13:50: The Significance of Self-Education in Entrepreneurship
15:30: Navigating Wholesale Ventures: Adventures and Insights
17:33: Events vs. Wholesale: A Comparative Discussion
21:29: Calculating Production Time and Its Integration into Cost Structure
24:43: Deciphering Wholesale Pricing Strategies
37:05: Trade Show Success: Tips and Tricks
42:18: The Handmade Showroom: Marlo’s Retail Store Journey
52:34: Thriving Amidst the Pandemic: Opening Bezel and Kiln in 2019
55:48: Managing Over 250 Artists’ Handmade Items
58:28: Valuable Advice for Product-Based Businesses
1:01:01: Marketing Strategies and the Power of Accepting Help in Business Growth
Support The Podcast
- COURSES: Check out my new Skillshare course on Milanote!
- FREE TEMPLATE: Notion for Entrepreneurs, How I Organize My Life and Business
- THE WORKBOOK: It’s time to take care of you. Get The Life Cleanse Journal to reevaluate what’s important to you.
- DIGITAL NOTEBOOKS: I heart Goodnotes. I’ve created some notebooks and planners for you to try out.
- NEWSLETTER: I send my newsletter out using FloDesk because of their easy-to-use automations.
|Remember to subscribe to my YouTube channel!|
- A Virtual Adult Summer Camp for Creatives! (More about Craftcation)
- East West Players (Theatre Company)
- America Made Show
- American Handcrafted (PA)
- Etsy (handmade marketplace)
- Pacific Place Mall in Seatle
- Shopventory (inventory management system)
- Square (POS system)
- Shopify (eCommerce website builder)
- Google Calendar
- ClickUp (knowledge management system)
- The Handmade Showroom Artist Submission Page
The Handmade Showroom
Studio 78 Podcast
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.