21. Creating Art Within Reach + How to Grow a Side Hustle
This week’s episode is dedicated to all those who may be struggling to get started with pursuing their passion because of naysayers or those who were ever discouraged by others who didn’t believe in their pursuit.
Studio 78’s guest this week, Ciara LeRoy, tells her story of about how she overcame familial expectations and academic discouragement to walk in her truth and pursue her lifelong passion of “creating beautiful things and telling stories.”
Ciara’s inherited an appreciation for art that steered her away from a pre-med academic track to an unlikely journey to fulfill her desire to inject the world with beauty. After a few minor setbacks, Ciara began slowly introducing the world to her one-of-kind artwork, and after gaining traction, she launched her website PrettyStrange.Designs, to debut her custom creations.
Ciara’s story can serve as inspiration and testament that being true to yourself “outweighs the perceived” benefits of playing it safe.
- Started as a biochemistry major, on pre-med track but couldn’t ignore her passion for art
- Advises never to discourage anyone from pursuing their passion
- Overcame setbacks and used time to figure out what she wanted to do
- Believes in allowing full-time jobs to facilitate dreams
- Launched her business on Instagram first (without business cards or a website)
- Encourages fellow artists and entrepreneurs to “put yourself out there” and just go for it
- Artwork mixes her love for words, botanicals, and beauty
- Philosophy: “Beauty is a basic service”
- Goals is participate in community art cooperative
- Enjoys creating custom art pieces for clients
- Can’t live without food television shows
Pretty Strange Design (Ciara Leroy)
Stop Dreaming, Start Doing!
Subscribe to get inspired!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.