44. How to Start, Grow, and Maintain Multiple Businesses
Studio 78er’s!!! Who said you can’t have it all? This week’s guest proves you can have it all when you put out into the universe what you really want to happen. Farissa Knox is a successful business owner, author, mother, and wife who believes in making the most of her life and talent.
She started her career working as an advertiser and marketing executive for a privately-owned business, until one day she received a call that the company was going bankrupt. With her marketing and advertising prowess and a push from her husband, she decided to start her own marketing firm, RLM Media. In just under 10 years, she’s grown the business to gross earnings of $15 million.
Never getting complacent with her success, Farissa has harnessed her entrepreneurial magic and applied it to other business ventures, including a highly-popular digital platform and book. We discuss how she manages to juggle it all and what she attributes her success to. Another episode full of goodness.
- Originally for NY (the Bronx), but during her childhood her parents moved the family to Richmond, VA
- Uncovered interest in advertising and marketing while in college; she was a communications major
- Looked for a job change once leaving college and moved to NY, got a job selling radio ads, lived in Brooklyn, where she met her husband
- After dating her now husband for awhile, she moved to Chicago working for the same company, but shortly after the company went bankrupt (and that was her spark)
- Discussed how and why she started RLM Media
- Meeting with as many people as possible and connecting with decision makers helped her get her initial clients
- Discussed how she grew RLM Media to gross billings of more than $15 million in 9 years
- Hiring employees allowed her the opportunity to focus on other things she loved
- Chose to have employees versus freelances because she wanted to establish a certain culture within her office
- The size of her office space evolved over time as she earned extra income and understood how it effected her company financially
- Tips for success in business:
- Learn from your mistakes
- Be quick on your feet
- Maneuver in a way where you’re thinking about what’s going on today, but more importantly, what can happen tomorrow
- Reevaluate how you measure success – learn from your downturns and start preparing for the worst
- Start looking for new clients when you’re the busiest
- Talk to the bank that holds your business accounts and ask for a line of credit
- She discusses why she started WhatRUWearing— a digital platform/publisher all about fashion and lifestyle
- With her marketing experience, she built the website for advertisers
- The brand has a podcast Fast Fashion and web series, PR Girl (both links below)
- Now that they have established their content, they will focus on monetizing the blog
- To create PR Girl , she used a production company that had experience with creating reality footage
- She created her book on a dare, but not realizing at the time how therapeutic it would be as she adjusted to living in a new city
- With husband, multiple children, and multiple business, she explains how you can do it all by putting out in the universe what you really want to happen
- Love, Sex & Friendship: In No Particular Order (Farissa’s Book)
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.