47. How to Overcome Burnout and Stay Motivated
Burnout is real people!! I’m currently recovering from it as a result of overfilling my plate and stretching myself thin with numerous goals and have-tos this year. The perils of an overly ambitious, eager multipassionate. lol!! But really, it’s something that most people experience on a daily basis but not something we immediately recognize until our burnouts manifest themselves into sickness or a chronic condition.
This week’s episode is a solo episode, in which I discuss my recent bout with burnout as well as how to recognize burnout at the onset. I also share what I’ve found to be helpful with getting myself back in the groove and on track post burnout. Please enjoy and share with anyone you know who may be experiencing fatigue or exhaustion.
Signs of Burnout
- Mental and/or physical exhaustion
- Health issues
- Cognitive problems
- Lack of sleep
- Loss of energy or wherewithal to do things
- Takes you longer than normal to do simple task
- Analysis paralysis-the feeling of being paralyzed when it’s time to take action
- Motivation may wane
How To Overcome Burnout
- Clean the spaces you occupy: office, home, and/or car. This helps you gain control of your surroundings to empower you to tackle other tasks in your life.
- Examine your schedule to determine what you can put on pause/postpone, eliminate, or just say “no” to. You don’t have to do everything at once or sometimes even at all. It’s time to let go of some things and start to prioritize.
- Forgive yourself. It’s ok if you aren’t able to do all the things or if you dropped the ball on something. Fix what needs to fixed as a result of dropping the ball, whether that’s an apology email or just owning the fact that you messed up. We are all human (at least most of us, lol!!).
- Create a realistic plan for the next four weeks. Remember to give yourself some space within your schedule for self-care and/or reflection to prevent another burnout.
Stop Dreaming, Start Doing!
Subscribe to get inspired!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.