63. Knowing When to Quit, Stick, or Pivot
Mallory Whitfield teaches people how to creatively market themselves online and how to tap into their creative potential. In addition to her day job, she frequently speaks on topics related to creativity, marketing, and personal branding. She not only has a personal brand, but is also the producer, editor, and host of the Badass Creatives podcast.
In this episode, we talk about how and why Mallory made certain career choices through the years. To include her decision to have a day job at different points in her journey and how her passions shifted through the years. We also discuss how she diversifies her income through affiliate marketing, teaching, speaking, and self-publishing.
Studio 78 Podcast: Listen + Subscribe
- Lives in New Orleans; Went to Loyola University as a theatre major, but ended up graduating with a history degree
- In 2004 she started doing art and craft shows
- We discussed how Mallory marketed missmalaprop.com (press release, entering a contest, art markets); when she initially started the website she wanted to highlight other vendors and sell products
- She had an aha moment about being tied to a location-based business and decided to shift her efforts to a skill she built up through the years, marketing
- In 2014, she took a position at a local digital marketing agency as a search engine optimization coordinator; while there she helped with a program that taught small business about SEO and social media and realized she was really good at it and enjoyed it
- In 2014, she also got back into performance art
- We discuss taking on our own advice and analysis paralysis when it comes to making decisions
- In 2017, she did her first speaking event and the host company ended up offering her a director of marketing job
- We discuss figuring health insurance and the benefits of using a health savings account
- Mallory talks about the unpredictability of the job market and how being her own boss gives her more flexibility and stability
- Mallory talks about how she has diversified her income by experimenting with different revenue streams to include publishing a book, affiliate marketing, speaking, generating events, and creating courses
- She initially created an ebook and sold it through Etsy; Eventually, she self-published it on CreateSpace and Kindle
- We discuss the benefits of using Skillshare to sell courses and Mallory talks through how she produced her first course
- Victoria and Albert Museum in London
- Portobello Market in London
- Etsy Upcycle Recycling Contest – check out her FEMA outfit
- The Frenchman Art Market (New Orleans)
- New Orleans Drag Workshop
- Gretchen Rubin – four tendencies
- National Speaker Association Conference
- Health Savings Account
- How to Make Money at Craft Shows by Mallory Whitfield [book]
- Content Upcycle Method [blog post]
- Mallory Whitfield – Skillshare Classes
- Website: missmalaprop.com
- Instagram: @mallory.whitfield
- Linkedin: mallorywhitfield
- Twitter: MissMalaprop
- YouTube: MalloryWhitfield
- Pinterest: missmalaprop
- Website: Badass Creatives
- Podcast: Badass Creatives
- Instagram: badasscreatives
- Facebook Group: badasscreatives2.0
Nache’ Snow – Studio 78 Podcast
Stop Dreaming, Start Doing!
Subscribe to get inspired!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.