99. Painting and Selling Metal Leaf Skies while Raising Three Children
Tara Andris spent her childhood wandering the galleries of the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art captivated by everything from Monet’s Water Lillies to the Ming Dynasty canopy bed. It was during those outings with her mother that she first fell in love with art. She was so moved by the artists’ interpretations of the world around us that it made her look at the world in a different way.
As an artist, Tara is inspired by the ever-changing sky and finds that clouds often make their way into her paintings. By incorporating metal leaf into her work – usually covering the entire surface before applying paint – Tara mimics the depth and reflectiveness of the ever-changing sky. Today, after several years spent working in and wandering the museums of Washington, DC and Kansas City, MO, she now living in Maryland painting and still wandering museums with her husband and three children.
In this episode, artist Tara Andris walks us through how she fell in love with art and why she chose skies as her main subject. She also provides tips for how to start selling art, lessons learned from shipping, and how social media has helped propel her business. Lastly, she recently had her third child and we discuss how she prioritizes her work and family.
- Paid someone to create her website and to create business cards to help her mentally take her business to the next level
- Posted every painting on her Pinterest (big vehicle at the beginning) account and she often posted on her blog
- Gave her painting to an influencer, Jenny Komenda, one to keep and one to give away back in 2013 and she still gets traffic from the post today
- Tara talked about making time and prioritizing what’s important with three kids
- Instagram has helped her get showings
Studio 78 Podcast: Listen + Subscribe
Support The Podcast
- SKILLSHARE COURSE: How to Organize Your Life To Make Time For Your Passion(s)
- THE JOURNAL: It’s time to take care of you. Get The Life Cleanse Journal to reevaluate what’s important to you.
- COURSE: Organization and Time Management Techniques to Become a Productive Entrepreneur
- Donate to the podcast on Patreon and get access to exclusive content!
- I send my newsletter out using FloDesk because of their easy to use automations.
- Love my audiograms. Check out Wavve.
- Museum on Main Street
- Bank Street Graduate School in NY
- Jenny Komenda’s article on Tara [Juniper Home]
- The Campbell Collective
- The Workroom Coop
- You Need a Budget
- SquareSpace [website builder]
Studio 78 Podcast
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.