10. How to Get Speaking Engagements + Writing and Promoting Your Book
Cassandra Clarke-Williams, mental health therapist, used her 16 years of school system and coaching experience to create multiple products to help others. In this episode, she talks about diving into speaking, writing and creating an academy. Her story illustrates that with discipline and time management you can accomplish just about anything.
- Cassandra has been happily married for 20 years with 3 kids and has worked in the school system for 20 years
- Cassandra began her career as a school counselor in 2009
- She is a licensed mental health therapist and is currently on track to finish up her PHD in March 2017
- At John Hopkins she teaches a School Counseling and Training Internship class one a week
- She is an author and recently wrote two books (link below)
- Cassandra explains how she is able to juggle multiple positions and find time to write books and create courses
- After a friend encouraged her to contact John Hopkins, Cassandra was able to land a Teaching Assistant position which turned into a regular teaching position
- In 2016,, she started to actively looking for conferences related to her topic to land speaking engagements
- TIP: To gain exposure pay to be a sponsor at a relevant conference
- Unconference 2016 – she attended as guest, but it also came with a virtual speaking opportunity
- TIP: To get started with speaking start out small and consider speaking at your local university by offering to speak on a topic that might help students
- Other speaking engagement options include creating training workshops at local libraries and/or conducting online webinars
- To begin you speaking journey start by creating a signature talk and start putting yourself out there
- In June of 2016, she woke up inspired and began writing a book for 2 straight days!
- During that time she also journaled for 66 days about getting to know herself and made it into the book
- To get her books out there she worked with a company to format the content, create promotional graphics, get her PR, and publish the book online and in print
- Cassandra did her dissertation on dating violence and is currently working on an academy for young women
Books by Cassandra
- Communication Breakdown: Understanding Relationships Through a Social-Emotional Context
- Getting to Know Me: How I Deepened My Inner Self in 66 Days
Free Organization Sheets
It's time to make space for the things you love! These free sheets will help you determine how you're currently spending your time and help you plan your time in the future.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.