81. Writing, Publishing, and Marketing a Children’s Book About Self Love
Jennifer Vassel is a Jamaican-American author based in Southern California. It wasn’t until 2012 that she decided to expound on her passion for writing and creating. She spent the next year putting together a collection of poems and short stories written over a span of 20 years. Her Channeled Energy was later birthed in 2014, becoming an Amazon #1 Bestseller.
Her current project is “I Am Unique!” – a children’s book and empowerment brand about self-love and sharing your unique gifts with the masses. The book stemmed from her childhood insecurity of having a birthmark. She wrote the story to inspire young girls and women alike to rise above their insecurity, and use it to impact the world.
In this episode we discuss:
- Her process for self-publishing “The Channeled Energy” and “I am Unique”
- What she’s doing to diversify her income: speaking engagements, creating an animated series, and tapping into the toy industry
- Tips for independent authors:
- Build an audience and community before you launch your book
- Constantly promote yourself
- Find your ideal audience and go to the places they are at
- Take the time to find who your real customers are
- She asks are you willing to: market your product, put yourself out there, do live video, go to vendor events, and put your face out there?
- Jennifer has been able to market effectively in four ways:
- Social media (Facebook and Instagram)
- Attending live events (mom events, women empowerment, youth development)
- Pitch to media outlets (share story of how her former insecurity inspired a self-love brand for kids)
- Brand and influencer partnerships with brands that have a similar messaging
- She uses the I am Unique free audiobook and pages of a coloring book as a lead magnet to build her mailing list
- Her monthly newsletter features items such as: what’s coming, events they’ll be apart of, topics that make sense for the brand, and new blog post
Studio 78 Podcast: Listen + Subscribe
Support The Podcast
- Sign up for the FREE Boss Project Virtual Summit. Use my link: nachesnow.com/bossproject
- Donate to the podcast on Patreon and get access to exclusive content!
- It’s time to take care of you. Get The Life Cleanse Journal to reevaluate what’s important to you.
- I send my newsletter out using FloDesk because of their easy to use automations.
- Love my audiograms. Check out Wavve.
- My favorite learning site is Skillshare.
- Craftcation Conference
- Kathy Cornwell [editor]
- My Channeled Energy: A collection of poems and short stories by Jennifer D. Vassel
- I Am Unique! by Jennifer D. Vassel
- Penny Weber [illustrator]
- McClure Twins Family [YouTube Channel]
- Free Coloring Book and I Am Unique Audiobook
- Forbes, Black Enterprise, and xoNecole [press]
- Who would you be if you knew you could not fail? [Nache’s Tall Gal Interview]
- Google Calendar
- Google Drive
- Adobe Creative Cloud
I Am Unique
Studio 78 Podcast
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.