81. Writing, Publishing, and Marketing a Children’s Book About Self Love
Jennifer Vassel is a Jamaican-American author based in Southern California. It wasn’t until 2012 that she decided to expound on her passion for writing and creating. She spent the next year putting together a collection of poems and short stories written over a span of 20 years. Her Channeled Energy was later birthed in 2014, becoming an Amazon #1 Bestseller.
Her current project is “I Am Unique!” – a children’s book and empowerment brand about self-love and sharing your unique gifts with the masses. The book stemmed from her childhood insecurity of having a birthmark. She wrote the story to inspire young girls and women alike to rise above their insecurity, and use it to impact the world.
In this episode we discuss:
- Her process for self-publishing “The Channeled Energy” and “I am Unique”
- What she’s doing to diversify her income: speaking engagements, creating an animated series, and tapping into the toy industry
- Tips for independent authors:
- Build an audience and community before you launch your book
- Constantly promote yourself
- Find your ideal audience and go to the places they are at
- Take the time to find who your real customers are
- She asks are you willing to: market your product, put yourself out there, do live video, go to vendor events, and put your face out there?
- Jennifer has been able to market effectively in four ways:
- Social media (Facebook and Instagram)
- Attending live events (mom events, women empowerment, youth development)
- Pitch to media outlets (share story of how her former insecurity inspired a self-love brand for kids)
- Brand and influencer partnerships with brands that have a similar messaging
- She uses the I am Unique free audiobook and pages of a coloring book as a lead magnet to build her mailing list
- Her monthly newsletter features items such as: what’s coming, events they’ll be apart of, topics that make sense for the brand, and new blog post
Studio 78 Podcast: Listen + Subscribe
Support The Podcast
- Sign up for the FREE Boss Project Virtual Summit. Use my link: nachesnow.com/bossproject
- Donate to the podcast on Patreon and get access to exclusive content!
- It’s time to take care of you. Get The Life Cleanse Journal to reevaluate what’s important to you.
- I send my newsletter out using ConvertKit because of their easy to use automations.
- Love my audiograms. Check out Wavve.
- My favorite learning site is Skillshare.
- Craftcation Conference
- Kathy Cornwell [editor]
- My Channeled Energy: A collection of poems and short stories by Jennifer D. Vassel
- I Am Unique! by Jennifer D. Vassel
- Penny Weber [illustrator]
- McClure Twins Family [YouTube Channel]
- Free Coloring Book and I Am Unique Audiobook
- Forbes, Black Enterprise, and xoNecole [press]
- Who would you be if you knew you could not fail? [Nache’s Tall Gal Interview]
- Google Calendar
- Google Drive
- Adobe Creative Cloud
I Am Unique
Studio 78 Podcast
Free Organization Sheets
It's time to make space for the things you love! These free sheets will help you determine how you're currently spending your time and help you plan your time in the future.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.