87. Turning a Layoff Into a Successful African Home Decor Business
Anitra Terrell began Reflektion Design in late 2013 after being laid off. She was at a crossroads, but instead of feeling defeated, she considered it an opportunity to forge her own path. When she thought about the happiest moments of her life, Ghana surfaced repeatedly. It was then Anitra realized she had to share her passion for African textiles and culture with others, and Reflektion Design was officially launched.
Anitra designs decor for culturally inspired people who love unique, colorful pieces “reflektive” of who they are. Using a curated approach to sourcing textiles and a discerning eye for patterns, she offers products that help you to create a home that feels collected not decorated.
Her product line includes decor, tableware, handwoven baskets and travel accessories. She intentionally chose African textiles (Mud cloth and Ankara fabric) as the foundation textiles for her brand because of its vibrancy, history, and cultural significance dating back to the 17th century.
Fabrics are ethically sourced from around the world, products handmade in Los Angeles, California.
- Anitra walks us through the steps she took to start her business after being laid off; she recommends finding available funding to assist you or seeking part-time employment
- We discuss sourcing fabrics
- We talk about the importance of getting systems in place and understanding your brand story
- She explains the difference between African print fabrics, adinkra cloth, and mud cloth
Studio 78 Podcast: Listen + Subscribe
Support The Podcast
- Donate to the podcast on Patreon and get access to exclusive content!
- It’s time to take care of you. Get The Life Cleanse Journal to reevaluate what’s important to you.
- I send my newsletter out using ConvertKit because of their easy to use automations.
- Love my audiograms. Check out Wavve.
- My favorite learning site is Skillshare.
Studio 78 Podcast
Free Organization Sheets
It's time to make space for the things you love! These free sheets will help you determine how you're currently spending your time and help you plan your time in the future.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.