127. How to Turn Your Art Practice Into a Business
Marcella Kriebel has always been an artist and foodie. She moved to Washington, DC in 2009 for an internship at the Smithsonian American Art Museum. While the Oregon native continues to live in the city to this day, frequent visits to the Pacific Northwest and abroad keep the creativity flowing. Her studio is located on the Arts Walk in the Brookland neighborhood of DC. She is the author of the illustrated cookbooks Mi Comida Latina and Comida Cubana. Both cookbooks feature over a hundred of Marcella’s favorite Latin American dishes captured in vibrant watercolor, ready to be explored.
In this episode, Marcella discussed how starting a daily art practice after being laid off from a job she loved led her to create her first cookbook. We discuss her Kickstarter, how she slowly grew her art business, and the importance of in-person shows. She also talks about the impact of the pandemic and the process of switching from in-person to virtual workshops. Lastly, we discuss video tips for courses, finding printers for your products, and what’s going on with her store in Brookland.
5:42 How she started a daily art practice making illustrated recipes
8:25 Advice on starting a passion project and establishing an art practice
16:24 Her Kickstarter experience and publishing her first cookboo
21:48 How Marcella slowly grew her business
31:16 Life during the pandemic
34:15 Switching to in-person to virtual workshops (highlight)
42:56 Finding printers for products and books
Studio 78 Podcast: Listen + Subscribe
Support The Podcast
- SKILLSHARE COURSE: How to Organize Your Life To Make Time For Your Passion(s)
- FREE TEMPLATE: Notion for Entrepreneurs, How I Organize My Life and Business
- THE WORKBOOK: It’s time to take care of you. Get The Life Cleanse Journal to reevaluate what’s important to you.
- DIGITAL NOTEBOOKS: I heart Goodnotes. I’ve created some notebooks and planners for you to try out.
- NEWSLETTER: I send my newsletter out using FloDesk because of their easy to use automations.
|Say thanks with a cup of joe!|
Click here to buy me a cup of coffee!!
Thanks in advance!
- First illustrated book: Mi Comida Latina, An Illustrated Cookbook
- Micron Pens
- Corcoran School of Art and Design- Museum Studies
- Marcella’s Kickstarter
- Etsy [market place for handmade sellors]
- Baltimore Charm City Craft Mafia Spring Show
- H Street Festival
- Adams Morgan Day in DC
- DC Downtown Holiday Market
- Brookland Arts Walk
- Buffalo Bergen DC [Who Marcella teamed up with for watercolors and cocktails]
- Zoom Marcella Virtual Workshops
- Macbook Pro
- BaseCamp [DC printer]
- Worzalla [self-publishing]
- Ingram Spark [self-publishing]
- The Life Cleanse Journal by Nache Snow
- Michael Grey x Marcella Kriebel Collaboration
- Google Keep [notetaking]
- 7 Day Productivity Challenge
Studio 78 Podcast
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.