166. Turning a Lifelong Love for Thrifting into a Profitable Business
Get ready to be inspired by Anna and Julie, two of the three Korean-American founders behind Unni’s Closet in Washington, DC. They’re here to share their incredible journey into the world of selling quality second-hand clothing via pop-up shops.
In this episode, you’ll hear Julie’s story about her first t-shirt-selling side hustle, Untitled, and how it led to the birth of Unni’s Closet. Julie and Anna will take you behind the scenes of Unni’s Closet, discussing the gap they’re trying to fill in the second-hand marketplace and how they manage their inventory to provide a variety of affordable and quality second-hand clothing.
But it’s about more than just the business side of things. Julie and Anna will also share how they started thrifting, their mindset when searching for quality pieces, and some tips on making the most of your thrifting experience.
And if you’re interested in sustainable fashion or starting your own vintage clothing business, you won’t want to miss the part where they talk about how they organically marketed the brand. From the meaning behind the name Unni’s Closet to their approach to dividing the profits, you’ll get a firsthand look at what it takes to succeed in the world of sustainable fashion. So sit back, relax, and get ready to be inspired by these remarkable entrepreneurs!
Studio 78 Podcast: Listen + Subscribe
04:20 Julie shares her first side hustle, Untitled, a t-shirt brand inspired by Korean culture
10:11 Anna and Julie discuss what they felt was missing from the vintage market in the DC area
12:05 They share personal stories about how their family inspired their thrifting journey
17:01 Anna and Julie talk about their mindset and share tips for finding quality pieces while thrifting
23:30 The origin story of Unni’s Closet is discussed
27:46 The mechanics of how they started, including inventory and organic marketing
31:41 They discuss the challenges they faced with clothing racks and hangers
36:30 The meaning behind the name Unni’s Closet is explained
40:13 Anna and Julie talk about their organic marketing strategy for the brand
45:16 How they divide profits is discussed
Support The Podcast
- COURSES: Check out my new Skillshare course on Milanote!
- FREE TEMPLATE: Notion for Entrepreneurs, How I Organize My Life and Business
- THE WORKBOOK: It’s time to take care of you. Get The Life Cleanse Journal to reevaluate what’s important to you.
- DIGITAL NOTEBOOKS: I heart Goodnotes. I’ve created some notebooks and planners for you to try out.
- NEWSLETTER: I send my newsletter out using FloDesk because of their easy-to-use automations.
|Remember to subscribe to my YouTube channel!|
- Untitled (Julie’s first business)
- Printify (on demand t-shirt printer)
- Custom Ink (t-shirt printer)
- Whitco Vintage (When they gave a shout out to Corey)
- Eastern Market
- Wave Accounting Software
- Square (point of sell (POS) system)
- Facebook Market Place
Studio 78 Podcast
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.