29. Turning a Passion Project into a Business with Lauren from The Letter Magazine
What would you do after a five-year relationship ends? For my guest this week, Lauren Taylor, the breakup sparked a period of self-discovery and was the catalyst to launch her passion project.
Lauren is the founder and editor-in-chief of the tri-annual publication, The Letter, a magazine that seeks to inspire subscribers to pursue their dreams, live their best lives, and stand in the fullness of their purpose. The magazine launched in August 2014 with the help of a small team of five, but has since grown and is now featured in two stores in the US, has a host of subscribers, and an international team of 22 women.
- Recently moved to Orlando, FL
- After experiencing a breakup, she realized she was stuck in a rut and needed a change
- Experienced a light-bulb moment and decided to start a publication
- Launched publication within four weeks of formulating an initial idea, using Apple’s iAuthor software
- Publication’s popularity increased after featuring a well-known YouTuber in the magazine
- After two years she rebranded the magazine
- Advises new entrepreneurs to use social media forums and groups as marketing resources
- The magazine was digital only for a while, but user began to request a print version which added another level of complexity
- Publication is a passion project; services are provided on a volunteer or collaborative basis
- Initially, The Letter Magazine was free, but they began selling it a year ago (2016)
- Suggests surrounding yourself with people who have strengths in areas that may not be your niche
- “Go For It!”-Lauren Taylor
- How to grow readership: build a community (people are always looking to collaborate), commenting on social media, emailing, reaching out to family and friends
- Don’t spend more than you’re projected to earn
- Features a “Snail Mail” option on the website where you send, receive, or publish a letter of inspiration to anyone. #bringsnailmailback
- The first event will be at Citizen’s Supply in August 2017; there will be a photo booth and calligraphers to do art for people
- Create an amazing team who can help you realize your dreams
- Her dream is to see others realize their dreams
- If you’re not being joyful and jumping out the bed to start your day, you should change something
- Your dreams don’t chase you, you chase after your dreams. -Lauren Taylor
- Knows her pizza guy by name because she looooooves pizza
- The Bookshelf (has tons of amazing books)
- iBooks Author
- Darling Magazine
- Kinfolk Magazine
The Letter Magazine – NO LONGER EXIST
Free Organization Sheets
It's time to make space for the things you love! These free sheets will help you determine how you're currently spending your time and help you plan your time in the future.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.