48. Building a Photography Brand With Heart + Battling Depression While Running a Business
I’m sure by now you’ve noticed that my website, nachesnow.com, recently had a bit of a face-lift, if you will. I added a few new pictures, and as my friend Astral Riles put it, the pictures completely “up-leveled” the site.
Those pictures were taken by this week’s guest, Danielle Finney, who is a local DMV photographer and entrepreneur. I found out about Danielle rather oddly, which I discuss in the episode, but she was highly recommended by several artists, and once I reviewed her website and Instagram feed, I knew she was perfect for the job.
Danielle discusses her unconventional path to photography, as a self-taught artist, and how it’s taken time for her to fully own her artistry and find her style. She also delves into her personal life and how challenges have helped her bring authenticity to her work and connect with her audience. I’m excited for her to share her story and to promote such an amazing talent.
- Danielle is primarily a self-taught photographer, having learned the fundamentals of photography from her brother
- In 2009, she was laid off and decided to focus her energy on photography until she found another job; severance pay from her previous job helped sustain her
- It took her 4-5 years to find her style; she’s been in business 9 years
- Values making her clients feel comfortable during photo shoots and says this is the cornerstone of her customer service
- We discuss how she became a well-known photographer within the DMV via the following:
- social media
- consistency (clear style)
- mentoring other photographers
- recommendations from clients and other photographers
- Five years ago, she started her educational program
- Opens up about being diagnosed with depression and Bipolar 2 last year; she decided to share her story with her followers
- She also discusses how she pushes through the hard days and tries to find balance
- She is currently working with someone to help her automate her workflow so it’s not so manual (i.e. setting up a client management system)
- Where there are clusters of interests for photography in different cities, she travels and does photography and mentoring
- We discuss how you can’t just rely on social media alone for promoting your business
- 01. The Struggles of Staying Motivated with Astral Riles
- Cities she’s traveling to for photography sessions
- Dfinney mentoring
- Burt’s Bees Lip Balm [she can’t live without it!]
Stop Dreaming, Start Doing!
Subscribe to get inspired!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.