95. The Power of Passion Projects and How to Avoid the Comparison Trap
Jen Hewett is a printmaker, surface designer, textile artist, and teacher. A lifelong Californian, Jen combines her love of loud prints and saturated colors with the textures and light of the California landscapes to create highly tactile, visually-layered, printed textiles.
In this episode, we discuss the importance of “showing up,” two passion projects that helped launch her creative business, and how to avoid the comparison trap when using social media.
- Jen’s passion projects: (1) 52 Weeks of Printmaking where she created a different print every week for a year. She did a lot with block printing and ended getting several inquiries to teach.
(2) The next year she started a project entitled Print, Pattern, Sew which expanded on her block printing skills. She started block printing yardage and every month she would create a design, print it on fabric, and create a garment out of it. That project let to her book: Print, Pattern, Sew.
- We discuss avoiding the comparison trap when looking at social media. “Comparison is the thief of joy.”
- We discuss the benefits of licensing your work and how to get started
- She wanted to go through a publisher for her book and she decided to put together a craft book proposal. Tips for creating a proposal:
- You need to prove it’s a viable idea and that people are interested in the subject matter
- You have to prove you can carry the idea through
- Create a good proposal. She shot a couple of projects and created step by step tutorials and included information about who she is and her audience; she talked about the classes she taught and the project that the book was based on.
Studio 78 Podcast: Listen + Subscribe
Support The Podcast
- Donate to the podcast on Patreon and get access to exclusive content!
- It’s time to take care of you. Get The Life Cleanse Journal to reevaluate what’s important to you.
- I send my newsletter out using FloDesk because of their easy to use automations.
- Love my audiograms. Check out Wavve.
- My favorite learning site is Skillshare.
- Surtex Tradeshow
- Blueprint Surface Design and Print Show
- Licensing Expo
- Jennifer Nelson – Artist Representative, Licensing Agent
- Lilla Rodgers – Artist Representative, Licensing Agent
- Lisa Congdon – Workflow, Time Management and Productivity for Creatives
Studio 78 Podcast
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.