94. How to Turn Your Illustrations into a Side Business
Emily Dere is an illustrator based in Alexandria, VA. She studied communication design at Central Saint Martins in London and theatre design at Syracuse University. A selection of work is available for purchase through Society6 and several brick and mortar stores.
In this episode, Emily discusses her journey to becoming an illustrator and why she prefers to operate as a side business. We also discuss finding printers, how to get your products in-store, and outsourcing your products.
- Emily paid attention to what customers were asking about to help her figure out what she should create
- We discuss the pros and cons of Society 6
- Tips for Getting Your Products in Stores:
- Stores begin buying for the holidays in July
- Send pitches via email with links and attachment; embed images in the body of the email
- Provide as much information as you can
- Organizing and labeling your products is key if selected; include SKUs on your products
- How to Prep for the Holidays:
- Order supplies well in advance
- Use information from previous years, if available, to determine how much product you need in stock
- Make sure you know what the time tables are with your suppliers
Studio 78 Podcast: Listen + Subscribe
Support The Podcast
- SKILLSHARE COURSE: How to Organize Your Life To Make Time For Your Passion(s)
- THE JOURNAL: It’s time to take care of you. Get The Life Cleanse Journal to reevaluate what’s important to you.
- COURSE: Organization and Time Management Techniques to Become a Productive Entrepreneur
- Donate to the podcast on Patreon and get access to exclusive content!
- I send my newsletter out using FloDesk because of their easy to use automations.
- Love my audiograms. Check out Wavve.
- Central Saint Martins University of the Arts London
- Penny Post
- Red Barn Mercantile
- Open Studio DC [currently in the process of moving to Baltimore, they list alternative places here]
- Google Sheets
- Skillshare Classes
- Lisa Congdon – Workflow, Time Management and Productivity for Creatives
- Leuchtturm1917 Journal
- Goulet Pen Co
- The Old Town Shop
- Cheesetique Del Ray
- The Cookery in Shirlington
Studio 78 Podcast
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.