105. Reinventing an Age-Old Product, The Puzzle
Kaylin Marcotte is the founder of JIGGY, frameable puzzles of curated independent art. Five years ago, she was working around the clock at an early startup, theSkimm, and fell in love with jigsaw puzzles as her nightly meditation. She was doing one every week, and the stress relief was great, but the designs were outdated and well, lame.
She started dreaming up a puzzle that would be beautiful for both the doing and the decorating, that would look good before, during, and after completion. So she decided to highlight the work of amazing female artists, and after a year of curating the art and reimagining and designing the packaging, JIGGY was born.
In this episode, Kaylin discusses designing the kit, the research process, marketing and the power of networking.
- Kaylin was previously the first employee of theSkimm and a management consultant with IBM
- Initially worked with puzzles as a form of meditation in the early days of working in a stressful startup environment
- She wanted puzzles to be a work of art so she began researching emerging women artist and decided to feature their art on the puzzles and pay them part of the sale
- The puzzle comes in a reusable jar because she wanted the packaging to be a work of art
- JIGGY Puzzles come with glue so you can frame it if you choose; she talked about the challenges of procuring the tubes for the glue
- The idea was to have the kit and be an experience in the way of design and art
- Getting started, she worked with a designer, went to different boutiques to get inspiration, searched for glass jars on Google, and through networking found a manufacturer
- The puzzles went into production last summer; she discusses the challenges of minimum order quantities with manufacturers
Studio 78 Podcast: Listen + Subscribe
Support The Podcast
- SKILLSHARE COURSE: How to Organize Your Life To Make Time For Your Passion(s)
- FREE TEMPLATE: Notion for Entrepreneurs, How I Organize My Life and Business
- THE WORKBOOK: It’s time to take care of you. Get The Life Cleanse Journal to reevaluate what’s important to you.
- DIGITAL NOTEBOOKS: I heart Goodnotes. I’ve created some notebooks and planners for you to try out.
- NEWSLETTER: I send my newsletter out using FloDesk because of their easy to use automations.
|Say thanks with a cup of joe!|
Click here to buy me a cup of coffee!!
Thanks in advance!
- theSkimm [news in your inbox]
- Shopify [website platform]
- Superhuman [email workflow]
Kaylin Marcotte // Jiggy Puzzles
Studio 78 Podcast
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.